Pastelería Ascaso has a history spanning 128 years since it was established in Huesca (north-eastern Spain, near the French border). Since that time, its strategy of innovation andresearch into new recipes based on traditional products has made it a clear leader in the sweetest sector of Spanish gastronomy. The story of Pastelería Ascaso is that of a hard-working family with apassion for sweet creations and high expectations for the quality of its products. It all began in 1890, when Manuel Ascaso Laliena set up a bakery in Huesca. His son, Vicente Ascaso Ciria, worked in the family business until 1929, when he opened his own business, the core of which continued to be bread, but now included simple ‘fine pastry’ products. After the Spanish Civil War, he decided to devote the business exclusively to pastry-making. He brought in professionals from different places,began to use cream (a novelty at the time), installed a refrigerated display cabinet in the shop, and incorporated original recipes and products. The mid-20th century saw the arrival of Antonio Oliván Biota, one of the mainstays of Ascaso for 50 years. He started out as an apprentice when he was 13 years of age, and ended up becoming a ‘pastry sage’, thanks to his determination, curiosity and dedication.
Following the death of Vicente Ascaso Ciria in 1960, his son, Vicente Ascaso Martínez, took over the business. With critical support provided by his wife, Lourdes Sarvisé, the family business was given a definitive boost: it moved to its current premises, expanded its staff, and its facilities were modernised. The 1970s were dedicated to travel, trade events, courses and contacts with other schools and master pastry chefs. It was at that moment in time that Ascaso became a leader inpastry-making and style, largely due to the Pastel Ruso, a French-inspired pastry whose original recipe continues to be Ascaso’s trade secret.
Ascaso’s growth continues today, with the fourth generation of the family at the helm. Over the course of this last year, an establishment has been opened in the centre of Madrid, and production has been moved to new production facilities, covering 1,680 square metres (over two floors). Located at the Huesca logistics platform, they incorporate the most important advances in the industry for optimisation of the artisan production methods that are a trait of the company’screations.