12th Spanish Écailleurs/Sorlut Oyster Opener Championship
Schedule: M - 13:30 a 15:30
Stand number: 6A26
A unique competition where contestants have shown their virtuosity by opening 30 oysters manually in the shortest possible time, combining skills and the best presentation. To open an oyster requires an effort equivalent to more than 900 times the weight of the molusc. Experts explain that the trick is to introduce the knife carefully, until finding the muscle, making delicate lateral movements and the oyster will end up yielding. The theory seems easy, but in fact you have to be extremely careful not to peel the nacre or cut it, as it would ruin this exquisite delicacy. The technique of openness, speed, dexterity and skill the criteria have accredited the Best Oyster Opener of Spain. Winners have been:
First place: Yosouf Khay Khalil, Mercado San Miguel (Madrid)
Second place: Elias Gregorio Tang, La Medusa (Málaga)
Third place: Adrián Plazas Torrens, Mercado del Olivar (Palma de Mallorca)
After the test, attendees have been awarded a tasting of the oysters in their natural form as recommended by the firm Daniel Sorlut, in order to appreciate all the nuances of this bivalve mollusk. For the first time this year, the Spanish Championship of Oyster Openers Écailleurs / Sorlut has surprised with the presence of a graffiti artist, who has embodied his signature spirit. In addition, during the first break of the Championship, Sorlut has presented their new project called "World Sorlut", their sense of corporate social responsability, which shows different human actions with the environment, culture, health and collaborations with NGOs with whom Agatha Ruiz de la Prada has collaborated designing original aprons faithful to her style.
In representation of the designer, her daughter Cosima has received the award for the involvement of Ágatha Ruiz de la Prada with the firm Daniel Sorlut, which has been dedicated since 1930 to the cultivation and breeding of different kinds of oysters with a single purpose: to share with the palates the excellence of their products.
This edition the judges were:
- Begoña Rodrígo, Restaurant La Salita, Valencia.
- Sacha Hormaechea, Restaurante Sacha Restaurant.
- Ana Lorente, Librería A Punto Library.
- Oscar Caballero, Journalist Club de Gourmets, La Vanguardia y Leer.
- Ramón Ramírez, El Invernadero de los Peñotes Restaurant.
- Luis Cepeda, Gastronomicom.
- Daniel Sorlut, Ostras Sorlut President.
The contestants selected for this edition were:
- Elias Gregorio Tang, La Medusa, Málaga.
- Gregorio Justo Esteban, Marisqueria Torrevieja, Alicante.
- Yosouf Khay Khalil, Mercado San Miguel, Madrid.
- Daniel Peña Jiménez, Cala Bassa Beach Club, Ibiza..
- Adrián Plazas Torrens, Mercado del Olivar, Palma de Mallorca.
- Adrián Llaguno San Emeterio, Bar El Puertito, Bizkaia.
Contact us for more information.