What's the Ezpeleta Pepper?
- Exhibitor: CONSERVAS ZALLO
- Sector: CONSERVAS DE PESCADO
In the seventeenth century its cultivation begans in the town of Espellette in the French Basque Country, to which it gave its name, being used in powder to coat the hams during the time of drying.
We are facing a very aromatic pepper, a little spicy not exceeding the spicy of the pepper, being still today highly valued in gastronomy.
The seeds of this product are sown in greenhouses during the month of January and replaced from March till the end of April. At the beginning of May, the plants are ready for being sown in open ground. It is harvest by hand, from the beginning of August til the beginning of the first frosts. The standardized size of these peppers is around 7 and 14 cm.
The Ezpeleta pepper can be found in the market in different ways:
• Whole fresh: freshly harvested, and used to prepare purees, sauces ...
• In strings: tied up with ropes, forming groups of up to four pieces, to be dried for a certain period of time.
• Powder: they spend a time of maturation and drying in the oven, and then shredded. The powder obtained, has a color that ranges from orange to dark red and is packed in glass jars, which must be preserved from light for proper conservation.
This is a product with a great source of vitamin C, B6 and K. Contains antiseptic and antioxidant properties which protect against cardiovascular diseases, and improve the immune system.
This pepper contains an oleoresin, capsaicin, which besides providing the spicy flavor, it carries analgesic qualities, so it is used to relieve rheumatic and arthritic pain.
There are many dishes that are flavored with Ezpeleta pepper such as: Marmitako, Piperrada, Axoa ... But it can also enhance the taste of Italian pasta, vegetables, or potatoes among others.
The Ezpeleta pepper is an ideal product for fish dishes, since the spicy flavor is so smooth, makes it perfect to provide a distinctive touch to the product.
Conservas Zallo, founded in 1926 in Bermeo (Vizcaya), has enjoyed a long career in the excellence in Preserved Fish. We have expertise most especially in Preserved White tuna and Cantabrian Anchovies.
Conservas Zallo, combines perfectly the most traditional methods with new technologies and thanks to a continuous searching R & D department we are in a constant development of new products and formats.